Smoke-Off Participation Information and Rules:
- There will be 4 prizes awarded: a Judges' grand prize and runner-up, and the People's Choice grand prize and runner-up.
- Amateurs only! Please no professional chefs/pitmasters applying.
- A non-refundable participation fee of $200 is required to compete. This includes the cost of the Travis County temporary food booth permit ($98) as well as ~15lbs brisket
- Texas Keeper will provide the following: ~15 lbs brisket, handwashing station and dishwashing station as required by Health Dept, servingware for brisket
- Participant will need to supply all needed equipment and supplies, with the exception of the meat, and comply with Austin/Travis County Health Dept Temporary Food Service Guidelines (provided with signup). Fires must be wood or wood substance. No electric or gas fires allowed. Holes or dug pits are not allowed. Each team must have at least one 10lb fire extinguisher readily accessible by team members. No flammable materials within 10 feet of your pit. No pre-marinating, pre-salting, pre-anything the meat.
- All food prep will be outside on Texas Keeper Cidery grounds. Each participant will have an assigned space. No side sauces - we want to judge the meat on its own merits!
- Food prep and setup may begin Friday, May 18th at 4pm, and brisket must be ready, sliced and ready for consuming/judging by 2:30pm on Saturday, May 19
- No firearms or outside alcohol is permitted on Cidery grounds.
- Questions? Email Lindsey@texaskeeper.com